Spain is the largest producer of olive oil in the world, with 264 varieties. Half of all the olive oil used in the U.S. comes from Spain, even though it may be bottled and shipped from another country. Here are some olive oil tips provide by the Trade Commission of Spain.
- All extra virgin olive oil is rich in health-promoting monounsaturated fats, tocopherols and polyphenols.
- Oxygen spoils oil. Buy only the amount of extra virgin oil that you will use up in 4 to 6 week.
- Buy olive oil in a dark bottle, it protects the oil from light and spoilage.
- All extra virgin olive oil is cold processed and should be stored in a cool, dark cabinet at home.
- Unopened olive oil can be held for up to a 1 year before use.
- Olive oil packaged in a can be equal to the quality of olive oil bought in a bottle.