On the market since 1936 and produced in Manhattan, Kansas, Kretschmer Wheat Germ is an old standard that packs a nutrition punch.
A 2 tablespoon serving has 50 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 4 grams of protein, 7 grams of carb (1 grams is sugar and 2 grams are fiber), plus no sodium, cholesterol or trans fat. Wheat germ is also an excellent source of vitamin E and folic acid and a good source of thiamin, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc.
Wheat germ is nutrient dense because it is the part of the wheat kernel, the germ, which can sprout into a new plant. The germ is removed when white flour is processed. Wheat germ contains the natural oils found in the wheat kernel and needs to be refrigerated after opening.
Wheat germ is an ingredient that can be added to foods to give a protein, fiber and nutrient boost plus a subtle nutty flavor.
- As a topping for cereal, yogurt or ice cream
- As a nut substitute
- To enhance smoothies, stuffing, dips or even salad dressing
- To replace part of the flour in a crumb topping, muffin or quick bread recipe
- As an addition to pancake or waffle batter
- To replace part of the breadcrumbs for chicken or fish
- To replace part of the breadcrumbs in meatloaf and meatballs
- To enhance hamburger, turkey burger or veggie burger recipes
Kretschmer Wheat is available as Original Toasted or Honey Crunch. The brand is kosher certified (OU).