We love to try new foods. Some are great. Some don’t measure up and some become staples in our kitchen. See what you think.
Americans love candy and they love to snack. That is unlikely to change, but most people would readily accept better options to nosh on.
UNREAL is a line of candy that developed when a teenage boy had his Halloween candy trove dumped by his parents because the choices were too sweet and too full of additives and artificial colors, all of which his parents objected to. The company story unfolds that this incident was the beginning of a start-up candy company, launched in 2012, that produces unjunked, unreal candy that mimics some of the more popular candy options on the market.
UNREAL candy contains no artificial ingredients, no hydrogenated fats, no corn syrup, no preservatives and is nonGMO (no genetically modified ingredients). Currently, there are 5 Unreal chocolate candies available all of which have at least 30% less sugar than comparable brands and each v
ariety has added fiber.
- UNREAL 5 – Chocolate Caramel Nougat Bar, 1.6-ounces, 170 calories, 5 grams fiber, kosher certified (OK)
- UNREAL 8 – Chocolate Caramel Peanut Nougat Bar, 1.7-ounces, 170 calories, 5 grams fiber, kosher certified (OK)
- UNREAL 41 – Candy Coated Chocolates (think M&Ms), 1.5-ounce bag (50 pieces), 190 calories, 3 grams fiber, kosher certified (cRc)
- UNREAL 54 – Candy Coated Chocolates with Peanuts (think M&M Peanuts), 1.5-ounce bag (19 pieces), 200 calories, 3 grams fiber, kosher certified (cRc)
- UNREAL 77 – Peanut Butter Cups, 1.3-ounce package (2 cups), 190 calories, 3 grams fiber, kosher certified (BCK)
All the options had a pleasant candy taste. Some of our candy-loving tasters found UNREAL less sweet than traditional candy, which it is. Our 3-year old taster, who has not eaten much candy, loved the Candy Coated Chocolates and the Peanut Butter Cups which may show that this is a good candy options for kids.
Simple Squares are savory-sweet, snack bars that are wheat, dairy and soy free. The bars are made with organic ingredients and certified 70% organic by Indiana Certified Organics. They are kosher certified (Apple K) and have not been baked or cooked which classifies them as a “raw” foods.
Simple Squares are described as a nut and honey confection. They are all based in cashews, almonds, honey and unsweetened coconut with varying flavors – Coconut, Rosemary, Sage and Cinnamon Clove. Each has 230 calories in a 1.6-ounce bar. Both the flavors and aroma of the squares are true to the herb used but the result is subtle and pleasant, not overpowering. We found them very filling for a small serving.