The 2010 Dietary Guidelines are encouraging Americans to eat more nuts and seeds rich in fiber, antioxidants, protein and heart healthy fats. Somersault Snacks is truly a new and unique snack that fits this recommendation. Somersault Snacks are based in sunflower seeds, which is the first ingredient in all flavors. It is a lower fat alternative to nuts packaged in 6-, 2-, 1- and 0.5-ounce bags. All flavors – Salty Pepper, Santa Fe Salsa, Pacific Sea Salt, Dutch Cocoa and Cinnamon Crunch are GMO free (no genetically modified ingredients), contain no additives or preservatives, and are kosher certified (OU). The production facility is “nut free” so the product is an excellent snack for those with nut allergies.
Every flavor comes as crunchy nuggets about the size of a nickel. Kids will like the crunch and the smaller packages are excellent for lunches or snacks.
- Salty Pepper has a nice pepper bite that is not overpowering. A 1-ounce serving (14 pieces) has 240 milligrams of sodium.
- Santa Fe Salsa gives a mild pleasant heat. A 1-ounce serving (14 pieces) has 270 milligrams of sodium.
- Pacific Sea Salt offers a mild salty taste. A 1-ounce serving (14 pieces) has 260 milligrams of sodium.
- Dutch Cocoa tastes more like a chocolate cracker, sweet but very tasty. A 1-ounce serving (14 pieces) has 140 milligrams of sodium.
- Cinnamon Crunch, the newest flavor on the line, tastes the most like a crunchy sweet cookie. A 1-ounce serving (14 pieces) has 100 milligrams of sodium.
The flavors offered are varied enough to suit anyone’s taste. A 1-ounce serving of all the flavors has 150 calories, 8 grams of fat (1 gram is saturated fat) no trans fat or cholesterol, 6 grams of protein, and 3 grams of fiber. The brand is not gluten free because vital wheat gluten (a wheat protein) is used to boost the protein. The fiber source is natural chicory root.