The World Is Getting Fatter
Over a half billion adults worldwide weigh too much; 205 million men and 297 million women. A major study, published in Lancet gathered an enormous amount of data from countries throughout the world. The results show that obesity, high blood pressure and high cholesterol are worldwide problems. And, as populations age the problems will get worse.
- 1 billion people have high blood pressure
- Pacific island nations have the highest BMIs (body mass index) in the world; 70% more than those in Southeast Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
- Of those countries with higher incomes, the US has the heaviest population; Turkish women and Czech men have the highest BMIs in Europe, Swiss women have the lowest
- Men have higher blood pressures than women worldwide.
- Western European countries like Greenland, Iceland, and Germany have the highest cholesterol levels in the world; African countries have the lowest.