Tofutti Cuties are mini, dairy-free, ice cream sandwiches that we have known about and enjoyed for years. It was a pleasure to revisit the Tofutti brand to see the numerous new dairy-free products currently available.
People with lactose intolerance, the inability to digest lactose, a sugar found in milk and milk products, or those allergic to milk, benefit from dairy-free products that mimic their dairy counterparts. The Tofutti brand got its start when a Brooklyn kosher delicatessen owner, David Mintz, was looking for nondairy products to use in his restaurant in the 1970’s. He discovered tofu and began experimenting and turned it into a frozen dairy-free dessert. The brand has since developed a number of other products.
Dairy-free ice cream products include:
- Tofutti Cuties are mini ice cream sandwiches. Each sandwich has 130 calories, 6 grams of fat (1 gram is saturated fat), no cholesterol, 2 grams of protein, 16 grams of carb, 9 grams of sugar, no fiber and 110 milligrams of sodium. They are available in a number of flavors in addition to the traditional vanilla with chocolate cookie and are a good portion controlled treat.
- Chocolate Covered Flowers are a combination of edible flower nectars and Tofutti dipped in chocolate. Each bar has 180 calories, 8 grams of fat (2 grams are saturated fat), no cholesterol, 2 grams of protein, 23 grams of carb, 19 grams of sugar, 2 grams of fiber and 105 milligrams of sodium.
- Yours Truly are sugar cones lined with chocolate, filled with vanilla Tofutti and topped with crunchy chocolate cookie crumbs. Each cone has 220 calories, 13 grams of fat (3 grams are saturated fat), no cholesterol, 2 grams of protein, 24 grams of carb, 21 grams of sugar, 2 grams of fiber and 135 milligrams of sodium. Yours Truly are also available as Caramel Sundae Cones with Vanilla Tofutti and chocolate cookie crumbs.
- Marry Me dessert bars are vanilla Tofutti covered in chocolate. Each bar has 168 calories, 8 grams of fat (3 grams are saturated fat), no cholesterol, 2 grams of protein, 22 grams of carb, 18 grams of sugar, a trace of fiber and 105 milligrams of sodium.
Tofutti makes other frozen desserts, as well as sugar free and fat free varieties.
Cheese substitute products include:
- Soy American and Soy Mozzarella Slices. Each pre-wrapped slice (0.7 ounce) has 80 calories, 6 grams of fat (3 grams are saturated fat), no cholesterol, 2 grams of protein, 2 grams of carb, no fiber and 290 milligrams of sodium.
- Better Than Ricotta Cheese delivers the taste and cooking qualities of traditional ricotta cheese but the texture is drier that than the milk-based original. A quarter cup serving has 100 calories, 7 grams of fat (3.5 grams are saturated fat), no cholesterol, 2 grams of protein, 8 grams of carb, no sugar, 1 gram of fiber and 150 milligrams of sodium.
Cream cheese substitutes include Better Than Cream Cheese in a number of flavors. The Plain variety has 60 calories in a 2 tablespoon serving with 5 grams of fat (2 grams are saturated fat), no cholesterol, 1 gram of protein, 2 grams of carb, no sugar or fiber, and 120 milligrams of sodium. Though this product may not win over diehard cream cheese fans, for those that cannot eat cream cheese this is very good tasting spread with the same characteristics as traditional cream cheese.
Better Than Sour Cream is available as plain non-hydrogenated and as Sour Supreme plain and guacamole flavored with some partially hydrogenated oil. All varieties have 85 calories in a 2 tablespoon serving, 5 grams of fat (2 grams are saturated fat), no cholesterol, 1 gram of protein, 9 grams of carb, 2 grams of sugar, no fiber and 160 milligrams of sodium. This product is as great substitute for sour cream, it does not separate when heated and has a good texture and mouthfeel.
Tofutti has further expanded into frozen foods with Pan Crust Pizza Pizzaz, Mintz’s Blintzes, and Ravioli. All three are good substitutes for their dairy alternatives.
Because all Tofutti products are meant to substitute for traditional dairy-based products, the one thing we would like to see is calcium fortification of the cheese and ice cream substitutes. People who exclude milk from their diets usually find they are in a calcium shortfall.
All Tofutti products are kosher (KOF-K) certified.