Calvin Harris, a chef with more than 25 years of restaurant and food product development experience founded Harris Food Group (HFG) Inc., in 2006. HFG markets and distributes branded, licensed food products. HFG partnered with The Biggest Loser to produce Simply Sensible refrigerated healthy meals, which debuted in the marketplace in early 2011.
Each meal carries the American Heart Association heart check symbol indicating that the food is low in saturated fat and cholesterol. The meals use the sous vide cooking method, slowly cooking foods sealed in airtight plastic bags in a water bath for an extended amount of time to preserve the quality of ingredients and allow for an extended shelf life.
Each Simply Sensible meal we sampled had excellent quality and a use-by date that allowed the meal to be held in the refrigerator for an extended period, after which it could be frozen for future use. Each 17-ounce package holds 2 servings and it is suggested that it be accompanied by a 1-cup serving of steamed vegetables to make an approved Biggest Loser meal. If one were not dieting, this serving is quite small.
The meals are packaged in multiple plastic pouches and can be reheated on the stove top or in the microwave. Preparation takes less than 10 minutes and the results are comparable; accept for Lasagna which must be baked if not microwaved. Five Simply Sensible meals are currently available.
- Mediterranean-Style Chicken and Bowtie Pasta: 1 serving (1.5 cups) has 250 calories, 6 grams fat, 20 milligrams cholesterol, 14 grams protein and 400 milligrams sodium.
- Lasagna with Meat Sauce: 1 serving (1 cup) has 200 calories, 5 grams fat, 20 milligrams cholesterol, 13 grams protein, and 440 milligrams sodium.
- Zing Chicken with Brown Rice: 1 serving (1 cup) has 230 calories, 1.5 grams fat, 35 milligrams of cholesterol, 16 grams protein, and 530 milligrams sodium.
- Beef Pot Roast and Gravy with Mashed Potatoes: 1 serving (5 ounces meat + ¼ cup potatoes) has 220 calories, 5 grams fat, 40 milligrams cholesterol, 23 grams protein, and 500 milligrams sodium.
- Beef Tips and Gravy with Brown Rice: 1 serving (1 cup) has 200 calories, 3.5 grams of fat, 30 milligrams cholesterol, 19 grams protein, and 360 milligrams of cholesterol.