Freeze-dried fruit snacks are popping up all over the market as healthy alternatives to cookies and chips. Obviously, the best fruit snack is the real fruit itself. Ordinary dried fruits – raisins, apricots, prunes, dates, cherries – are dried in heat making both the flavor and texture different from the fresh. Freeze-dried fruits are made with a flash-freezing process that preserves taste, some texture, and nutrients. The downside is freeze-dried bands are often more expensive and the absorb moisture quickly, becoming soggy when exposed to air. That is one reason most companies package them in single serving sizes.
Funky Monkey produces a large variety of flavors that may appeal to children and adults. Each package (0.42 ounces) holds three-quarters of a cup of freeze-dried fruit with 35 to 50 calories. There are no artificial colors or preservatives and no added sugar. Funky Monkey is crunchier and the flavors more pronounced than some of the other brands we have tasted.
- Bananamon – banana and cinnamon
- Applemon – contains apple and cinnamon
- Carnaval Mix – contains banana, pineapple, apple, and papaya
- Jivealime – contains pineapple and lime juice
- MangoOJ – contains mango and orange juice
- Pink Pineapple – contains pineapple and guava
- Purple Funk – contains banana and acai
All of the ingredients used are non-GMO, some of the fruit is organic, and all varieties are certified kosher.