Eat less than 1-ounce of beans a day and you reduce your risk of dying by 8%. Sounds crazy you say? Maybe, but it is true. Researchers looked at people aged 70 and older who lived the longest in Japan, Sweden, Greece and Australia. No other food, by itself, predicted a long life across all these groups except beans.
Want to live longer? Eat beans. Here are a few ways:
- Put some kidney beans in your salad.
- Serve bean dip instead of cheese dip.
- Eat hummus (made of chickpeas).
- Munch on soy nuts or edamame.
- Order split pea soup.
- Try refried beans or rice and beans.
- Eat baked beans.
- Add beans to your chili recipe.
You should know: Peanuts and green peas both belong to the bean category. Peas for dinner and a peanut butter sandwich count.
Source: Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2004